Friday, August 31, 2018

The Limits of God's Power

I was thinking about how God is the creator of all things, and as such, he has all power, authority and dominion over all things.  If I write a book, I get to decide if it stays private, if it gets published, where it gets sent, etc. because I am the creator of it.  I have authority over it.  If I made a painting, or a sculpture, or crafted something from wood, the same would apply.  You see how this works:  the one who made it has the power over it.

Jesus demonstrated this power, and his equality with God, when he was in the boat with his friends (this disciples) and a storm came up.  His friends panicked and cried out to him to help them.  He said, "Be still," to the wind and the waves, and immediately everything stopped.  The disciples marveled and said, "Who is this, that even the wind and the waves obey him?"  He created that sea and that wind, so when he spoke there was no choice, but to obey!


God made each one of us. Every human was crafted by his own hands.  The Bible tells us that he, "knit us together in our mother's womb."  He formed us like clay.  As our creator then he holds the right to have power and dominion over us; HOWEVER, he chooses to limit his power.  He could say, "Come," and we would have no choice but to come!  That's not what he wants though.  He calls out, "Come," and he gives us the choice to respond.  He chooses to limit his authority over us because what he desires most is our love, freely given.

I love when my grandsons (3 year old twins) wake up from sleeping.  I want to come snuggle their warm (and stationary!) little bodies and give them love.  Sometimes though, they will walk away from me without giving me any snuggles.  They want to go play and have their own agenda on their mind.  Now, in that moment I could pull out my most stern voice and exert my authority over them.  I could require them to come to me.  But that's not what I want.  I want them to choose to receive the love I have for them.  If they will just come to me, I will give them lots of love! I will hold them, rock them, kiss them, and tell them I love them.  I see the picture of our heavenly Father in this also.


He wants us.  He calls to us.  But he will not force us.  We may choose our own agenda and walk off to our own choosing, but if we do, we are only missing out on all the goodness and love he wants to pour out on us.  Stop today, pause, put your own agenda aside, and let the Father love you. 

God's power has no limits, except the very limits he places on it himself, in order to have your love.

God Bless You,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment